Radon is a colorless, odorless, radioactive gas that is naturally occurring from the decay of Uranium in rock. Radon can become trapped inside buildings and accumulate to levels that are dangerous to human health. Exposure to high levels of radon gas can cause lung cancer.
Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking and is responsible for over 21,000 cancer deaths per year in the United States. The only way to know if radon levels are high is to test. The EPA recommends that all buildings be tested for radon and mitigated if levels exceed 4.0 pCi/L. The highest levels of indoor residential radon ever recorded in the country have been found in the Lehigh Valley.
In Pennsylvania, 49 of 67 counties report higher than the recommended levels of indoor radon gas. In November 2017, a residence in Center Valley, PA tested over 6,000 pCi/L.